Celebrating Cycling Cities Event on June 1
The European Cyclists' Federation and Dutch Cycling Embassy partner on "Celebrating Cycling Cities" event.
The COVID-19 pandemic has shown cities around the world the need for more resilient and equitable mobility systems. This will be crucial not only to weather the pandemic but also to fight climate change and to address the deepening inequalities in many urban areas worldwide.
On Tuesday, 1 June 2021, the European Cyclists’ Federation (ECF) and the Dutch Cycling Embassy (DCE) partnered to present Celebrating Cycling Cities, a two-hour event during which representatives from European cities and EU institutions debated and shared best practices for how to shape more cycle-friendly urban mobility systems.
- Daniel Mes, Member of Cabinet of European Commission Executive Vice-President Frans Timmermans
- Matthew Baldwin, Deputy Director-General of DG MOVE and Mission Manager of “100 Climate-Neutral Cities by 2030”
- Stientje van Veldhoven, Dutch State Secretary for Infrastructure and Water Management
- Geert Kloppenburg, Host of the Metropolitan Mobility Podcast
- Mario Gualdi and Pascal van den Noort on behalf of the CIVITAS Handshake project
- Political representatives from the cities of Amsterdam (TBC), Bologna, Copenhagen, Gdańsk, Helsinki, Lisbon, Munich, and Valencia
The event was moderated by Lucas Harms, Managing Director of DCE, and Jill Warren, CEO of ECF, with introductions and closing remarks by Henk Swarttouw, President of ECF. You can read a summary and watch a recording of the event on the ECF website.
- Creado el